Subscribe by Email

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Book Review - Tears and Tantrums & Connection Parenting

I don't have time right now to post anything in depth but I just finished two absolutely stellar books Tears & Tantrums: What To Do When Babies and Children Cry and Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear.

Both are fantastic books that I wish all parents had read. Tears and Tantrums explains how healthy it is to allow our children to cry and how important it is to be present with them while they express their strong emotions rather than banishing them to their rooms or teaching them a control mechanism like eating or distraction.

Connection Parenting has some problems (namely that the author read the Continuum Concept which as I have said in my review is written in an emotionally traumatizing style with the goal of forcing parents to parent a certain way by painting vivid (though inaccurate) pictures of what will happen if they don't. Even as I read it, knowing that what she was saying was false, I was still "traumatized" by this book! Meaning, connection is key, healthy relationship are key. You can have great connection with your child and a healthy relationship with your child while not carrying them around or practicing other overly-exaggerated and sentimentalized ideas from Attachment Parenting (AP has a lot of good ideas too).

Back to Connection Parenting--fabulous! Especially the first two chapters! Says very similar things to what I say in my thesis statement and soon-to-be-book.

No comments:

Post a Comment