Subscribe by Email

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Health Note - Cure for Asthma

Last summer I got a stomach flu that left me quite ill. After not being able to keep food down for ten days my brain went to mush and I went to a doctor seeking a solution. I told him no antibiotics and he said that was fine and gave me an anti parasite drug instead. Unfortunately, in the brain-fog I was in I did not research the drug or realize that there really is no difference between what I took and antibiotics.

The last time I took antibiotics I was in mu mid twenties. I noticed a dramatic improvement in my skin for a month or so following the antibiotics and then developed horrible acne. The acne lasted a year. I saw this clearly as my body getting back into balance. Seeing a physical representation of why antibiotics put my body though, I would only ever take them if it meant life or death.

So I am still kicking myself for the choice I made last summer. I was expecting acne, but I didn't get acne this time. This time I got adult onset asthma. Never having had asthma before it took me a while to figure out what was wrong with me. For quite  few months I thought I had anxiety and then other times thought it was allergies. The attacks got worse until I finally spent a sleepless night at a hotel struggling to breathe and reading everything I could on the internet until I realized that asthma was the problem.

I immediately decided that I needed to see a doctor and get an inhaler pronto. But then I started reading about the side effects, about how inhalers make it better now and worse in the long run, about all the ER visits for asthma sufferers. I started googling around for cures and solutions. That first night I didn't find any and was quite depressed.

But the attack ended and I got a few good nights of sleep and soon was back at my computer determined to find a real solution. And I did--I found two. The first is the GAPS diet, which I went on immediately and, as long as I follow it strictly, have no more breathing issues. The second is the Buteyko breathing techniques, which, if I am traveling or just really wanting to indulge in some junk food, also fix the problem--though breathing through an asthma attack is not nearly as nice as not ever getting an asthma attack.

Anyway, I have no idea how this story will play out. I developed self-diagnosed asthma and cured it in a time span of 6 months. Whose to say I even really had it? Considering I was able to survive all the attacks without an inhaler--did I really have any truly bad asthma attacks or were they all minor? Sometime in the next few months I, perhaps, will see a doctor for a proper diagnosis and if I do I will update this post. In the meantime, asthma, allergy, and sleep apnea sufferers out there--you should know that both GAPS and Buteyko (and especially combined) insist they can cure your problems and they did cure mine!

Cheers to cures!

4 comments:

  1. Ms. Ross,
    Did you intentionally delete my comment, or did it somehow fail to post permanently? Technology is not my strong suit; if you deleted it then that's your business, however if it didn't register altogether please respond, and I'll attempt to repost it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I thought your post was from a robot or something! It was very very long and from "Anonymous" so... yes I did intentionally delete it. I'm sorry for that--though I would like to request you post with your name rather than anonymous. I don't like anonymous posts. Unless they are simple complements, then I let them slide! :)

      Delete
    2. Hello,
      Ah, no...the length represented many, many hours of personal research.

      I've never posted to a blog before, and I don't have a blog of my own. Will signing my own name to it satisfy your desire for it not to be anonymous, or will I need to first make a blog?

      Delete